Sunday, March 29, 2009

Review:OpenSUSE 11.1

OpenSUSE is the free to use version of the SUSE Linux distribution.



SUSE is a popular German Linux distribution and is one of the oldest Linux distributions.



SUSE was originally based on Slackware Linux, but it soon became its own distribution with unique features like the all-in-one system configuration utility YAST and the use of the Red Hat Package manager format as its standards method of installing software packages.






OpenSUSE 11.1 was released last December.

It contains all the latest and greatest open-source software like Firefox 3.0.4, OpenOffice.org, VLC media player 0.9.6, and it also contains the latest versions of the two most popular Linux desktop environments, KDE 4.1.3 and GNOME 2.2.

KDE 4.1.2 can now also be upgraded to the recently released KDE 4.2.


OpenSUSE has a number of unique features.
Among them is its easy-to-use and powerful all-in-one system administration tool, YAST.

Another unique feature is its excellent custom-built versions of KDE and GNOME which are built to be more beautiful and user-friendly than stock KDE and GNOME.


OpenSUSE 11.1 has a number of improvements over OpenSUSE 11.


For example the Zypper package manager is faster than in OpenSUSE 11.



Installation

I went to the official OpenSUSE website http://www.opensuse.org.

I prefer to use bittorrent than download files with my web browser.

For bittorrent there were three options, a KDE4 LiveCD, a GNOME LiveCD, and a DVD with all desktop environments.


Since I prefer KDE over GNOME I downloaded the KDE4 LiveCD via bittorrent.

I I burned the ISO to a CD and then booted off the CD.

When the CD booted to the desktop I tried to use my wireless internet but it wouldn't work.

So with my laptop I went to the OpenSUSE forums and asked how to get my wireless internet working.

A person on the forum told me how to download the necessary RPMs and get my wireless internet working.





After getting internet working

After getting my internet working I tested Firefox and it was working.

I then went to this website and downloaded the KDE version of the one-click installer for installing multimedia codecs.

Afterwards I had to install the Packman software repository to have access to additional packages not included in the official OpenSUSE software repositories.

I launched, YAST, then I went to Software Repositories>Add>Community repositories and chose Packman, and then the Packman repository was added.

After exiting the Software Repositories module of YAST I wanted to install my favourite media player VLC media player so I launched the Software Management module of YAST.

I searched for VLC and installed the Packman version of YAST.



I tested playing video with VLC and it worked.









No comments:

Post a Comment